Festival of Saint Francis of Assisi, Quibdó
Inscribed in 2012 (7.COM) on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
- Festival of Saint Francis of Assisi, Quibdó
Every year from 3 September to 5 October the twelve Franciscan districts of Quibdó, Colombia, hold the Fiesta de San Pacho, a celebration of the community’s Afro-descendant Chocó identity, embedded in popular-rooted religion. It begins with the Catholic ‘Inaugural Mass’ at the Cathedral blended with traditional dances and chirimía music performed by the San Francis of Assisi Band. This is followed by a parade of carnival groups featuring costumes, dances and chirimía. Each district offers a morning mass and allegorical floats and carnival groups in the afternoon. On 3 October, the patron saint travels the Atrato River in boats, and on 4 October people celebrate the dawn with devotional hymns and perform the Grand Procession of the Saint in the afternoon. Local artists and craftspersons make the floats, district altars, costumes and street decorations with young people learning alongside. Certain families per district act as custodians and work through the Franciscan Festival Foundation to organize events, preserve know-how and keep the tradition alive. The festival is the main symbolic space in the life of Quibdó. It strengthens Chocó identity and promotes social cohesion within the community, while promoting creativity and innovation through its revival and recreation of traditional knowledge and respect towards nature.
- Nomination form: English|French
- Consent of communities - i) Statements Summons, ii) Personalized Statements, iii) Standard Statements, iv) Qualitative Interviews: Spanish/English
- ICH inventory - Resolution No. 1895 including the Festival of Saint Francis of Assisi on the national ICH Representative List and approving the Special Safeguarding Plan: Spanish
Decision 7.COM 11.9
The Committee (…) decides that [this element] satisfies the criteria for inscription on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity, as follows:
- R.1: The festival of Saint Francis of Assisi constitutes an important marker of identity for the Afro-Colombians of the city of Quibdó and its environs; the annual gathering encourages social cohesion, solidarity and respect towards nature, while evoking the historical interactions of the many cultural groups that have lived in the region.
- R.2: Inscription of the Festival of Saint Francis of Assisi on the Representative List could increase the visibility of the intangible cultural heritage in general and promote respect for cultural diversity and human creativity.
- R.3: Safeguarding measures aim to strengthen the organizational aspect of the festival and its material infrastructure, and include awareness raising, documentation and training.
- R.4: Members of the communities and the Franciscan Festival Foundation were actively involved in the preparation of the nomination through workshops, interviews and other consultations and they provided free, prior and informed consent for the inscription.
- R.5: The Festival of Saint Francis of Assisi, Quibdó has been included in the Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Colombia since 2011, under the responsibility of the Heritage Office of the Ministry of Culture and the Colombian Institute for Anthropology and History.
Inscribes the festival of Saint Francis of Assisi, Quibdó on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
These videos (and many more) can also be consulted through the UNESCO Archives Multimedia website